1. Travel
Martha Bakerjian

Italians Celebrate Liberation Day

By April 24, 2009

liberation day pictureFor Italians old enough to remember WWII, liberation day is still a very important event. April 25, Liberation Day, is a national holiday in Italy marked by ceremonies, historic re-enactments, and celebrations. Many towns hold fairs, concerts, food festivals, or special events. One of the more interesting events is the Palio di Bomarzo, north of Rome (see Northern Lazio map for location).

Coming up: May 1, the day of the worker, is another Italian national holiday with more festivals and events. It's also the date of one of Sardinia's most important festivals, the Sagra di Sant Efisio.
May Festivals and Events in Italy

Photo of Liberation Day ceremony in Sarzana James Martin, Europe Travel

Comments
April 24, 2009 at 3:05 pm
(1) Umberto Mucci says:

Hi Martha, yesterday in Rome a new italian think tank was born, called Fondazione Italiani Americani. Our mission is to promote the friendship between Italy and the US. Our first event tomorrow april 25th will be to celebrate our liberation day at the Sicily-Rome American cemetery memorial, where 7.861 american guys rest in peace, dead to free our country. We will honour their sacrifice, celebrating our liberation: and we will never forget them.
Take care and stay safe :-)
Umberto Mucci

April 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm
(2) Martha says:

Thanks for your post, Umberto and good luck with the Fondazione Italiani Americani”. I think it’s a wonderful idea.

For those who aren’t familiar with the American cemeteries, the Sicily-Rome cemetery is in Nettuno, south of Rome, and the Florence American Cemetery is just south of Florence.

April 24, 2009 at 7:08 pm
(3) Pensionato33 says:

Si ringrazio Umberto!
There has always been a close bond between the Italian people and those of America. It is true, many thousands of American soldiers died in the liberation of Italy. The Italians also sufferd greatly at the hand of the Nazi’s and lost untold thousands of it’s youth and citizenry as a result of this terrible war. May we always be close and may your foundation thrive. Auguri, Joe Palisi, USA

April 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm
(4) Kennerth Newton says:

My grandfather, Hal Newton was in the US Marines and stormed Sicily and lost lots of friends, I will be in Venice tomorrow to take part in the festivites, by chance my last day on vacation in Italy with my wife. Her two grandfathers were WWII vets also and means a lot to me to take part in such a historic holiday. We are both of Italian dissent and are both from NY. I happened to see the grave site in Florence and it was very moving. I plan on going to Sicily in the future and visit that cemetery too.

America and Italy are both celebrating this day, Vets or not. Everyone was effected by the war and I will be happy to be there representing my grandfather, Howard Lafayette Newton his brother William Harding Newton, who died aboard the USS Reuben James(10/31/41, by german U-Boat torpedo) and all of there brother in laws, my Great Unlces that served in WWII. Very proud to be in Venice tomorrow to celebrate with Italy on this historic anniversarry.

April 25, 2009 at 1:37 am
(5) Umberto Mucci says:

thank all of you, guys, and all the brave men who fought to free my country, and he whole Europe. My father was an italian who fought with the 5th army, and everything he used to tell me about those brave soldiers will be forever in my heart. We will never forget their sacrifice; and we will always be thankful to the US people. Take care, and have a good day!

April 25, 2009 at 3:30 am
(6) Martha says:

I got choked up this morning when the church bells rang to announce Liberation Day. I can’t imagine how emotional that day must have been at the end of the war.

August 9, 2009 at 4:56 am
(7) Kris says:

Fondatione Italiani Americani claiming to be a think tank, well, instead to be a ‘to-do’ tank they only ‘think’ for now. Yet it has no website (only a very primitive webpage) and there is no obvious sign that it has done anything, just boasting, thats a pity.