Cinque Terre are five picturesque villages on the west coast of Italy that are connected by a series of popular walking paths and hiking trails. Because the villages are in a national park, visitors need to buy a card to use the paths. The pass is also good for visiting several of the museums and riding the eco-friendly buses.
If you plan only to visit a village but not use any of the connecting paths, you do not need a card. Villages are connected by train or boat and there is a car parking area outside of Riomaggiore. Also when hiking trails connecting the villages (blue number 2 trails) are closed, as is often the case in winter and early spring due to flood damage, cards will not be required or sold - check current trail closures (marked with red dot).
What's Included with the Cinque Terre Card:
- Use of all pedestrian paths, hiking trails, nature observation points, and picnic areas in the park, except those that may be closed for maintenance.
- Entrance to the History Museum in Riomaggiore, Museum of the Sciacchetra (sweet wine) in Manarola, the anchovy salting center in Monterosso, the old olive oil mill in Groppo.
- Use of public lifts and the environmentally-friendly buses that run from each village to points above it.
- One hour free mountain bike rental on higher routes, as available.
- Discounts on purchases at park's Information Points.
Where to Buy a Cinque Terre Card:
- Information Center by the train station in each of the five villages.
- Information Center at La Spezia Train Station
- Piazza Garibaldi in Monterosso
- Information Center in the Lavaccio parking area by Riomaggiore (closed in July 2011)
Cinque Terre Card Prices
These prices are current as of 2011, check the web site for updated prices and information. Here are some of the cards available:
- One Day Card, weekdays: 5 euro or 3.50 for under age 18 or over age 70
- One Day Card, Sundays and Holidays: 7 euro
- Two Day Card, weekdays: 9 euro
- Weekend Card: 12 euro
- Family Card: 15 euro (2 adults and 2 under age 18)
Cinque Terre Train Card
If you plan to travel amongst the five villages by train, you can buy a card that includes train travel. In addition to the services listed with the regular card, the Cinque Terre train card includes second class travel on regional trains to/from La Spezia, Levanto, and the five villages. Current prices as of summer, 2011:
- One day, adults: 10 euro
- Two day, adults: 19 euro
- Children under 12: 6 euro
- Over age 70: 8 euro
- Family Card (2 adults and 2 under 12): 26 euro
Read more about Visiting Cinque Terre.