Highlights of a Visit to Bobbio, Italy:
Bobbio sits in the Trebbia River valley surrounded by natural beauty. Its most famous site is the medieval Hunchback or Devils's Bridge just outside town that is believed to be of Roman origin. The San Colombano Abbey was known during the middle ages for its great library. During the middle ages, the Abbey was the start of the Abbot's Way Pilgrimage trail to Rome.
Today Bobbio a popular destination for those interested in its cultural history, nature lovers and outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, and fishing.
Where is Bobbio?:
Bobbio and the Mona Lisa:
What to See in Bobbio:
- Hunchback or Devil's Bridge: The medieval bridge, with 11 unequal arches, is 280 meters long and is said to have Roman origins. The current bridge was built after a 15th century flood that destroyed the prior bridge.
- San Colombano Abbey: During the middle ages San Colombano Abbey held one of Europe's greatest libraries. The Abbey was founded in 614 and the Abbot Pilgrimage Trail was originally used by the monks to visit the Pope. The trail connects with the Via Francigena, another pilgrimage route to Rome. Inside the Abbey, there's a small museum with artifacts from Roman to medieval times. The 15th century Basilica was built on the remains of a 10th century church and in the crypt you can see 12th century floor mosaics. Saint Colombano's feast day is celebrated November 23.
- 11th century duomo: The cathedral's interior is richly decorated with ornamentation mainly added in the 18th century and its facade is dated 1463. In Saint John Chapel is a fresco of the Annunciation from the late 15th century.
- Malaspina Dal Verme Castle: The 14th century castle was built on a hill overlooking Bobbio. It's a good place for views of the town and countryside. There's a park around the castle and below it is the old historic district.
- Saint Francis Church and Monastery: The church was rebuilt in the 18th century but the monastery retains the original 13th century style and has a pretty inner cloister.
- Thermal Springs of Bobbio: There are many thermal springs in the outskirts of town. A spa opened in 1904 in San Martino, about a mile away. In 2010 it was remodeled into a modern beauty and health spa specializing in treatment of respiratory and skin conditions.