Lake Garda - Italy's Largest Lake:
Picturesque villages, medieval castles, and lakeside promenades dot the shoreline. The lake has a diverse landscape with beaches along the southern shores and rocky cliffs above the northern shoreline. Lake Garda is known for its clear water, great for swimming in summer. Windsurfing, sailing, and hiking in the lake's many parks are popular activities.
Lake Garda Location:
Transportation to and from Lake Garda:
Lake Garda Transportation - Getting Around the Lake:
Lake Garda Tourist Information:
Lake Garda Hotels:
Lake Garda Pictures:
Lake Garda Attractions:
- Riva del Garda is a popular summer resort and one of the best places for windsurfing. The town is dominated by a fortress.
- Malcesine has a historic center with tiny streets, a small harbor, and a medieval castle. From Malcesine, the cable car goes to Monte Baldo, known as the Garden of Europe, where there are botanical gardens, hiking paths, and specatucular views.
- Bardolino has thermal baths and a wellness and beauty center at the Hotel Caesius Thermæ & Spa Resort.
- Peschiera del Garda is one of the most picturesque towns on the southern shore of the lake. Its small historic center is inside 16th century walls. Peschiera is served by train, bus, and ferry so makes a good base. It's also near a golf course and Gardaland. Photos
- Gardaland is the largest amusement park in Italy. It's in Castelnuovo del Garda near Pescheria. There's a free shuttle bus from the Pescheria train station. The Gardaland bus runs from many of the towns around Lake Garda.
- Sirmione, a town favored by artists and poets, has a medieval center dominated by a large medieval castle. The town is known for its thermal bath resorts.
- Le Grotte di Catullo, on the Sirmione peninsula, has ruins of the family villa of Catulla, a writer or senator of the Roman empire. The site is situated in a spectacular point on the peninsula, surrounded by olive and lemon trees.
- Salo' is an elegant town of pastel houses established by Mussolini in 1943. It has a good cathedral.
- Gardone is known for its beautiful park with exotic plants. Its historic center dates from the middle ages and has both medieval and baroque buildings. There are several aristocratic villas from the early 20th century.