The Bottom Line
Hotel rooms are quiet and a good value for Rome.
- Good value for the money
- Convenient location for train travelers
- Nicely decorated, quiet rooms
- Common rooms and front desk are crowded
- Hotel and Hostel des Artistes offers hotel rooms with private bath and shared dorm rooms.
- Hotel rooms are roomy, nicely decorated, and quiet. Bathrooms are modern with a good shower.
- Even though it's just a few blocks from Rome's main train station, the hotel is on a quiet street.
- The upstairs common room has computers with free internet access. There is also a roof garden.
Guide Review - Hotel des Artistes Rome Hotel Review
Because the des Artistes doubles as a hotel and a hostel, I was a little worried that it would be noisy. Since the hostel is on completely different floors than the hotel that was not a problem at all. The only inconveniences were that we had to wait to check in as the front desk was very busy and that there was a long wait to use the computers. On the positive side, since travelers congregate in the common areas, it's a good place to meet other travelers.
The young staff was very friendly, helpful, and efficient. The rooms were clean and the decor was pleasing. The bathroom was very good with plumbing that worked well. Even though our room was right over the street, we heard no noise at night.
If you want to be near the train station, this is a good place to stay. However, you are not in the historic center so you'll need to do some walking or use public transportation for sight-seeing and to get to good restaurants.
The Hotel des Artistes is a very good 3-star hotel with reasonable prices. They have several sister hotel options, too, and they've added the option of booking half-board with dinner available in two nearby restaurants.