Lake Como Introduction:
Lake Como Location:
Where to Stay on Lake Como:
When to Go to Lake Como:
Lake Como is a popular weekend destination for people from Milan so the weekdays may be less crowded. July and August are the most crowded months. Spring and Fall are the best times to visit as it is less crowded and the weather is usually pleasant. During the winter, some services may be closed, but you can ski in the mountains nearby. See Como Average Temperatures and Precipitation.
How to Get to Lake Como:
Transportation for Getting Around the Lake:
Lake Como Pictures and Video:
Lake Como Festivals:
Lake Como Attractions:
You'll find the major towns around the lake on our Lake Como map.
- Bellagio, known as the pearl of the lake, is in a beautiful setting where the three branches of Lake Como come together. It's easy to get to by ferry or bus from other cities on the lake. Read more in our Bellagio Travel Guide.
- The walled town of Como has a good historic center and lively squares with nice cafes. There are several walking paths near town. Como makes a good base if you're traveling by train. From Como you can take the funicular to the village of Brunate, 720m above Como, for hiking trails and beautiful views of the lake and the Alps.
- Silk is produced in the town of Como and you can see the entire silk-making process in the Silk Museum dating from 1900 or buy silk in many shops.
- Villa d'Este, in the village of Cernobbio on the west coast, is the most famous of Lake Como's villas. The villa is now a luxury hotel on a wooded peninsula. Each of its 161 rooms is unique.
- Menaggio, against the mountains, is a lively resort with a lakeside promenade. Menaggio is popular with outdoor enthusiasts for walking or hiking, swimming, windsurfing, and rock climbing.
- Villa Carlotta, south of Menaggio, has beautiful gardens. You can tour the inside with its original 18th century furniture and art works.
- Villa del Balbianello, in the village of Lenno, is also worth a visit and has some unusual treasures. The villa was used as a set for one of the Star Wars movies.
- The fishing village of Varenna has picturesque narrow alleyways and streets below a castle and a lakeside walking path.
- Outdoor Activities - Biking, mountain biking, hiking, boating, paragliding and windsurfing. In the winter, you can ski in the nearby mountains.
- Cruises - there are some interesting cruises around the lake on commercial boats, mainly on weekends in the summer season.
- Camping - there are a number of campsites around the lake.