At Bella Baita you can experience rural Italian life and hospitality and see charming small villages and towns with few tourists. Bella Baita is surrounded by excellent hiking trails so it's a great place for the avid hiker. You can drive to a nearby train station and take the train into Turin. Or if you just want to relax, it's a great place do that, too.
Why Go to Bella Baita Bed and Breakfast
From Bella Baita there are spectacular mountain views. On clear days, the view extends to the French border. There's a small garden for relaxing. The attached restaurant also serves dinner and guests can have use of a shared kitchen so there are several dining options without having to drive. The ample breakfast usually includes delicious home-baked breads or sweets and local organic food along with the view from the balcony or dining room. There's even free wireless internet access.
What to See in Chisone Valley
- Museum Abitare in Valle is a very interesting museum of traditional rural life from the past including furniture, household items, and farming implements from the area. It's in Pinasca, the town at the foot of the road to Bella Baita.
- Pinerolo is a good-sized town with arcaded streets, shops, cafes, an unusual Duomo, and a small historic center. There's a large market in town on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Fenestrelle Fortress, built from 1728-1837, is a huge fortress going 535 meters uphill with a length of 3 kilometers. The buildings are connected by a unique covered stairway with nearly 4000 steps, only accessible with a tour (1, 3, or 8 hour tours are available, usually in Italian only).
- Usseaux is a picturesque village with murals painted on its walls. There's a good view of Fenestrelle Fortress from the village.
- Lago dell'Laux is a lake with good views and a great restaurant serving typical regional food - lots of polenta variations and good pasta.
- Sestiere is a ski area. It's chair lifts operate in July and August providing opportunity for some great mountain views and hiking. Sestiere has Europe's highest golf course, too.
See our Val Chisone Pictures.
Germanasca Valley, Valle di Susa, and France
The Germanasca Valley was part of the route taken by the Waldensians from Lake Geneva in Switzerland in 1689 to return to their homeland which they had left due to religious persecution. There are several places to see reminders of the Waldensian past along the Strade dei Valdesi, including a museum of Waldensian life housed in a Waldensian temple in Prali. (Read more about the Waldensians on Wikipedia)
The more famous Valle di Susa is a little farther but can still be visited as a day trip from Bella Baita. The Valle di Susa has ski resorts and lifts, a fort, an ethnographic museum, vineyards, and the Gran Bosco Natural Park.
Continuing on the road through Val Chisone past Sestiere, it's possible to reach Briancon, France. Between Sestiere and Briancon are several small villages.
Bella Baita Bed and Breakfast Details
Bella Baita Italian Alps Mountain Retreat
Borgata Serre Marchetto 1
10060 Pinasca (TO) Italia
+39 347 984 2945 / +39 339 750 3940
Getting to Bella Baita
You'll probably want a car at Bella Baita. Be sure to follow the directions given carefully (don't trust your GPS if you have it). Bella Baita is 6km up the road from the town of Pinasca.
From Turin's Caselle Airport, it's about an hour drive. Car rentals are available at the airport.
Coming by train from Turin, the closest station is in Pinerolo. From Pinerolo there is bus service to Pinasca at the foot of the road leading to Bella Baita. It's 6km up the hill from there but with prior arrangement, the owners will pick you up in Pinasca (see our Val Chisone Map).
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodations for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. See our ethics policy.