Here's information about how to travel between Rome and Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo.
San Giovanni Rotondo LocationSan Giovanni Rotondo is 180 miles east of Rome in the Puglia region of southern Italy - see Puglia map for its location.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By Train
The trip by train from Rome's Termini Train Station to Foggia takes about 3 hours on a Freccia train or 4 1/2 to 5 on the less expensive IC trains (with no connections required). As of this writing, there are 7 trains a day (weekdays) between 8AM and almost midnight. There are frequent connecting buses from Foggia train station to San Giovanni Rotondo that take about 40 minutes.
The smaller San Severo train station is closer to San Giovanni Rotondo and also has connecting buses on weekdays but only one on Sundays (see schedule above). To get to San Severo from Rome, you would still take the train to Foggia, then transfer to a regional train to San Severo.
You can check current Rome to Foggia or San Severo schedules and ticket prices on the Trenitalia web site. People in the US may find it easier and more convenient to buy tickets ahead of time through Select Italy - go to Select Italy train tickets page to make reservations and buy tickets direct.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By BusAn express bus service runs from Rome Tiburtina to San Giovanni Rotondo, currently departing Rome at 6:15 and 17:00 and taking 5 to 6 hours. The return leaves San Giovanni Rotondo at 5:40 and 17:20. Be sure to check the updated bus schedule on the Ferrovie del Gargano page - click on the bus tab.
Where to Stay in San Giovanni Rotondo
- La Solaria (read reviews and book direct) is a 3-star hotel very near the shrine with a restaurant and private parking area.
- Hotel Leon (read reviews and book direct) is a newly built and highly-rated 3-star hotel outside the historic center. They offer shuttle service to the shrine, about 2km from the hotel.
- Le Terrazze sul Gargano (read reviews and book direct) is within walking distance of the shrine and has terraces and a restaurant.
- Bed and Breakfast Santa Lucia (read reviews and book direct) is an inexpensive option within walking distance of the sanctuary.
- See more San Giovanni Rotondo Hotels with guest ratings and reviews on Venere.