Transportation to Sicily:
The main train line takes you to Sicily from the mainland along the coast going south from Rome. Ferries connect Sicily to mainland Italy, Sardinia, Malta, Tunisia, and Egypt.
Getting Around Sicily:
Food and Drink Specialties of Sicily:
Performing Arts in Sicily:
Sicily Hotels and Places to Stay:
- Agrigento has an outstanding complex of Greek temples, the Valley of the Temples, not to be missed. Its medieval center, with Arab and Norman influences, is also worth exploring. Agrigento lies along a ridge on the southwest coast. Agrigento Travel Guide
- Cefalu is a popular seaside town east of Palermo with beautiful beaches and scenery, museums, and historical monuments. From the top of La Rocca, there are great views of the city and second-century BC Temple of Diana.
- Enna, 1000 meters high, is noted for its fantastic views of the mountains, including Mount Etna. Enna is a fortress town with ruins of its 13th century castle.
- Erice is a beautiful little medieval town perched atop a mountain with impressive views. It was once a place where gods were honored. Today it is famous for its pastries.
- Mount Etna is Europe's largest live volcano and one of the most active in the world. The lower slopes have walking paths with good views while you can ski on the higher slopes in winter (see Italy Skiing).
- Marsala is the heart of Sicily's wine-producing region. It also has a Roman archaeological site and museum and a historic quarter.
- Palermo is a lively city with a fascinating central market and many historic monuments. Palermo's Archaeological museum has a good collection of Greek relics. Top Things to Do and See in Palermo
- Ragusa and nearby Modica, Scicli, and Noto are beautiful Baroque towns and UNESCO World Heritage sites. Ragusa has a stunning old town. Ragusa Travel Guide
- Segesta is a beautiful setting with some excellent Greek temple ruins, well worth a visit.
- Siracusa, on the southeast coast, has more classical ruins and a Greek theater. Its also a good place for shopping and eating. Siracusa holds a big festival for Santa Lucia Day in December. (see December Events) Syracuse Travel Guide
- Taormina is an attractive holiday resort with a beautiful Greek theater still used for summer performances. Lying on the slopes of Mt. Tauro, it has great views of the coast and Mt. Etna. It's also a good place for shopping and visiting beaches. Taormina Visitors Guide
- Custonaci, a small town near Trapani in Sicily, has an interesting nativity scene re-enacted inside a cave around Christmas, usually December 25-26 and again in early January. A tiny town was buried in the cave by a landslide in the 1800's. Now excavated and it serves as a setting for live nativity events. The village is set up to resemble an ancient village with craftspeople and small shops.
- Beaches - Sicily has many fine beaches along its coast. Here's a selection of five beach towns to visit.