Soave LocationSoave is 23 km east of Verona, just off the A4 autostrada (you can see the castle from the autostrada). It's about 100 km west of Venice in the Verona province of the Veneto region. See the Veneto Map for Verona's location.
Soave TransportationSoave is easily reached by car from the A4 autostrada between Milan and Venice (see autostrada map). Without a car the easiest option is taking the train to Verona and then take the bus that goes to San Bonifacio from outside Verona's Porta Nuova train station. The bus stops in Soave near the Hotel Roxy Plaza. There's also a railway station in San Bonifacio 4 km away. Buses connect Soave to other towns in the Veneto. The closest airport is Verona, about 25 km away, with some connecting buses. Venice and Brescia are also fairly close - see Italy airports map.
Soave Pictures and MapEnjoy a virtual tour with Europe Travel's Soave Pictures and take a closer look at the town with this Soave Map.
Where to Stay and Eat in SoaveBed and Breakfast Monte Tondo (read reviews and book direct) is a highly rated bed and breakfast in a winery outside the town walls. The 4-star Hotel Roxy Plaza is just outside the town gate (see Soave Map for location and booking). There are a few other bed and breakfasts and hotels outside town.
We had a good lunch at an inexpensive trattoria just outside the walls by the moat. At lunch time it appeared to be filled with locals and there was a pleasant outdoor dining terrace. Inside the walls there's a restaurant on the ground floor of the Palace of Justice and a few eating places along the main street of the historic center.
What to See and Do in Soave
- Castle of Soave was first cited in 934 and is a typical medieval military castle. In front of the castle is a drawbridge with a gate built in the 15th century. Remains of a 10th century church are inside the outer walls. The castle holds a museum with artifacts found during restoration and you can visit the castle rooms and courtyards where there are frescoes.
- Medieval Walls were built in the 13th century, surrounding the town and leading up to the castle. Originally there were three gates. The walls and main gate into town are well-preserved and there's a moat along two sides of the walls.
- Palace of Justice, built in 1375 is an impressive medieval building in the center of town. Two other medieval buildings in the historic center are the Palazzo Cavalli and Scaliger Palace with nice gardens.
- Palazzo del Capitano is an impressive building where many events are held.
- Churches: Churches include the 18th century Parish Church with 16th century paintings, the 15th century Santa Maria dei Domenicani and San Rocco Churches, and the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Bassanella dating from 1098 where there are good 14th century frescoes.
- Wine Tasting is offered in the Catina di Soave and at several wineries in the area.