Saint Francis Basilica, or San Francesco Basilica, is the main site in Assisi and has been popular with pilgrims since the 14th century.
Construction on the church was started July 17, 1228, the day after Saint Francis was canonized. A 1997 earthquake severely damaged the church but it's been restored and is open to visitors. From April through October the church remains open all day, from dawn to sunset. During other months, it usually closes during lunch. Visitors are not allowed on Sunday mornings. Appropriate dress should be worn when entering the basilica.